Tuesday 5 June 2007

Thursday 8 March 2007


I have planned a bit of a cross-country today.

First stop is going to be Ocala (OCF) for brunch, then depart westwards to route overhead Cedar Key airfield (CDK) and then turn south heading towards Winter Haven (GIF) because I wish to go and speak to a man about a Cub - one with floats.

Aircraft for the day is yet another new one for me - C172SP N775SP.



We depart off runway 7, again, heading for Ocala. The initial route takes us over Altamonte Springs, on the northwest edge of Orlando, and onwards past Leesburg. Ocala appears after about 45 minutes and, despite the size of the place, is another uncontrolled airport.
















Once brunch is over it is back out to the aircraft and taxi out for departure from runway 36. A rather impressive beast is parked on the south apron so I stop for a few seconds on the taxiway and take a picture. Wonder who it belongs to? I didn't see it fly but someone in the terminal told me it goes like greased lightning.


Thirty minutes later I am overhead Cedar Key at 4500' and while looking down at it I am wishing I was down there looking upwards.

The reason I am not landing there is because I am not allowed to. Air Orlando (along with most other rental schools) have an insurance requirement that you restrict yourself to runways that are at least 3000' long. Cedar Key is 2300' long.


Shame!

Onwards to Winter Haven now and one hour later I am touching down on runway 4. A short taxi takes me to the ramp at Jack Brown's Seaplane Base. If you haven't heard of JB's then this is where you can take your seaplane rating on Piper J3-S floatplanes. $995-00 for 5 hours dual and the check ride. Only problem is there are very few places you can rent a floatplane once you have the rating.






























I have had a fly at Jack Brown's on previous visits but this is one place you do not walk away from without having a go. A chat with the lady in reception confirms that they cannot fit me in today but if I can make it in for 9am tomorrow morning then I can have an hour dual. Not a problem - I'll be there.

Back to 775SP and up I-4 back to Orlando-Executive.

No comments: